About Penny Beuning
Dr. Beuning came to Northeastern in 2006 and was appointed Department Chair in 2020.
Dr. Beuning completed her doctorate at the University of Minnesota and conducted post-doctoral work at the University of Minnesota and MIT. She has been the recipient of the Camille and Henry Dreyfus Foundation New Faculty Award, a Cottrell Scholar, an American Cancer Society Research Scholar and the recipient of an NSF CAREER Award, among other accolades. She is a Fellow of the American Chemical Society.
Her research aims to determine how cells respond to DNA damage and maintain the accuracy of genetic information. As part of this work, she aims to develop DNA damage tolerance enzymes and DNA repair proteins as tools for biotechnology applications. Her lab also seeks to determine fundamental aspects of enzyme function that can be applied to protein engineering, focusing on enzymes involved in cellular metabolism.
The Beuning laboratory at Northeastern is focused on understanding the structure-function-dynamics relationships of proteins and enzymes, with a particular focus on proteins involved in DNA metabolism and DNA damage tolerance.
- Publications from Google ScholarRead
- "Identification of the dimer exchange interface of the bacterial DNA damage response protein UmuD" David A. Murison, Rebecca C. Timson, Bilyana N. Koleva, Michael Ordazzo, and Penny J. Beuning Biochemistry 56 4773-4785 (2017)Read
- "Single-molecule mechanochemical characterization of E. coli pol III core catalytic activity" M. Nabuan Naufer, David A. Murison, Ioulia Rouzina, Penny J. Beuning, and Mark C. Williams Protein Science 26 1413–1426 (2017)Read
- "Local structure based method for prediction of the biochemical function of proteins: Applications to glycoside hydrolases" Ramya Parasuram, Caitlyn L. Mills, Zhouxi Wang, Saroja Somasundaram, Penny J. Beuning and Mary Jo Ondrechen Methods 93 51-63 (2016)Read
- "Non-cognate DNA damage prevents formation of active conformation of Y-family DNA polymerases DinB and pol kappa" Philip Nevin, Xueguang Lu, Ke Zhang, John R. Engen, and Penny J. Beuning The FEBS Journal 282 2646–2660 (2015)Read