About Armen Stepanyants
The research in my group is aimed at understanding the principles of synaptic connectivity in the cerebral cortex. Most of my research projects are linked by a common theme which can be summarized as: inferring synaptic connectivity through the quantitative analysis of neuron morphology. The topics of interest range from the theoretical and computational analyses of real and artificial neural networks and their memory storage capacity, to building cortical connectivity diagrams based on the experimental datasets of neurons reconstructed in 3D, to developing algorithms for automated tracing of neural circuits from light microscopy stacks of images.
Research at CIRCS falls within the areas of biomolecular systems, cardiac systems, neural systems, and nanosystems. Research projects are continuously evolving as members develop new collaborations both within and outside the center.
Research in this lab is aimed at understanding the basic brain functions and principles of synaptic connectivity in the cerebral cortex through the quantitative analysis of neuron morphology.
- Gala, R., Lebrecht, D., Sahlender, D.A., Jorstad, A., Knott, G., Holtmaat, A., and Stepanyants, A., Computer assisted detection of axonal bouton structural plasticity in in vivo time-lapse images, eLife, 6:e29315 (2017)Read
- Chapeton, J., Gala, R., and Stepanyants, A., Effects of homeostatic constraints on associative memory storage and synaptic connectivity of cortical circuits, Frontiers in Computational Neuroscience, 9:74 (2015)Read
- Gala, R., Chapeton, J., Jitesh, J., Bhavsar, C., and Stepanyants, A., Active learning of neuron morphology for accurate automated tracing of neurites, Frontiers in Neuroanatomy, 8:37 (2014)Read
- Chapeton, J., Fares, T., LaSota, D., and Stepanyants, A., Efficient associative memory storage in cortical circuits of inhibitory and excitatory neurons, PNAS, 109(51): E3614–E3622 (2012)Read
- Fares, T. and Stepanyants, A., Cooperative synapse formation in the neocortex, PNAS, 106(38): 16463-16468 (2009)Read