How to Apply
Candidates must meet one of the following pre-requisites prior to being accepted into a program and must supply official confirmation:
- Have received a bachelor’s degree or equivalent from an accredited college or university
- Have received a master’s degree or equivalent from an accredited college or university
- Have received a first professional degree or equivalent from an accredited college or university
- Be an undergraduate enrolled in a PlusOne program at Northeastern University
Application Materials Required for Graduate Programs
An application for admission and all required application materials must be received by published deadlines.
Application Fee – $75
- Application Fee is waived for Accelerated PhD programs
Unofficial transcripts from all institutions attended should be uploaded to ApplyYourself as part of your application. Official transcripts, in certified English translation if from an institution outside of the United States, are required of all enrolled students by the first day of the entry term and must be mailed directly from the institution in a mailed and sealed envelope to:
Graduate Admissions and Student Services
Northeastern University College of Science
206 Mugar Life Sciences Building
360 Huntington Avenue
Boston, MA 02115
Proof of English Proficiency is required for all applicants (from one of the following):
Degree earned or in progress at an U.S. institution*
– or –
Degree earned or in progress at an institution where English is the only medium of instruction
– or –
Official exam scores from either the TOEFL iBT( (institution code is 3682), IELTS, PTE exam or Duolingo English Test. Scores are valid for 2 years from the test date. Please refer to individual program requirements.
Application Materials Required for PlusOne Programs
Start with the Online application
- Select the term that you would be starting the Master’s portion of the PlusOne program.
Application Materials and Requirements
- Transcripts do not need to upload your Northeastern transcript.
- The Graduate Admissions and Student Services staff will upload the transcript after the application is submitted.
- GRE exam scores are not required.
- Program Plan must be uploaded to the personal statement section.
- Letters of recommendations are not required. Complete the recommendation section using the following contact information:
- The application fee will be waived. Select “Pay by Check” when prompted for payment at the end of the application.
Fall Semester: August 1
Spring Semester: December 1
MS Chemistry – Letter of recommendation from thesis advisor confirming support of the thesis project
MS Biotechnology – Pre-requisite form (located under College of Science Supplemental Section)
Application Materials Required by Degree
The College of Science reserves the right to withdraw an offer of admission at any time prior to or after enrollment if one or more of the following occur:
- There is a discrepancy between the unofficial or self-reported transcript and/or test scores submitted at the time of application and the official transcripts and/or test scores received by the College of Science.
- Applicant does not submit a final transcript showing conferral of a bachelor’s, master’s, first professional, or equivalent degree from an accredited institution within 30 days of matriculation.
- Applicant fails to meet the deadlines and/or other credential requirements of the degree program to which the applicant applied.
The College of Science Graduate Admissions and Student Services Office is open Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
College of Science Graduate Programs
205 Mugar Life Sciences Building
360 Huntington Ave
Boston, MA 02115