The Marine Science Center utilizes a seawater system to provide filtered seawater to our tanks and aquariums. Collection of filtered seawater by non-Northeastern researchers and/or their students is permitted with prior approvals. In extremely limited cases, and with prior approvals, specimen collection may be also be permitted. Please contact our Laboratory Manager, Ryan Hill, to discuss your needs.
- Scheduling of visits is subject to staff and site availability. The MSC hours of operation are 8:30am to 4:30pm, Monday through Friday.
- Please be aware that those wishing to collect filtered seawater are required to bring their own collection containers.
Cost & How to Pay
We do not charge for small volume seawater collections. For collection of over 500 gallons, please contact our Laboratory Manager, Ryan Hill, to discuss the fee and payment methods.
- Upon arriving at the MSC, check in at the front desk and submit any outstanding release forms. We require that you also check out at the front desk when concluding your visit.
- To cancel or reschedule your visit contact the Laboratory Manager as soon as possible.
- Recreational swimming is not permitted at any time, and unauthorized snorkeling or scuba diving is not allowed.
- Restrooms and filtered drinking water are available for use in the main building during hours of operation.
- Unless previously arranged, access to the laboratories and research areas are prohibited.
- Removal of any item from the grounds is strictly prohibited without prior permission – this includes rocks, shells, and living organisms. Visitors should not cause harm to any living organism at any time; disruptive and/or dangerous behavior will not be tolerated.
- Be aware that there are active research plots on the grounds. Visitors should not stray from authorized areas.