Honors in Mathematics
To graduate with Honors in Mathematics, students must satisfy the following requirements:
- Have a minimum overall GPA of 3.3 and a minimum mathematics GPA of 3.6.
- Successful completion of two research courses:
- MATH 4020 Research Capstone or 4025 Applied Math Capstone or 5131 Introduction to Mathematical Methods and Modeling Plus MATH 4970 Junior/Senior Honors Project 1;
- MATH 4970 Junior/Senior Honors Project 1 Plus Math 4971 Junior/Senior Honors Project 2;
- MATH 4992 Directed Study Plus Math 4970 Junior/Senior Honors Project 1;
- Other combination accepted by the Mathematics Department Undergraduate Research Committee.
- Write a proposal, supported by two letters of recommendation, for undergraduate research that has been submitted to and approved of by the Undergraduate Research Committee (URC) BEFORE registering for the second research course or MATH 4970.
- Produce a written thesis that is accepted by the URC; it will be considered as a candidate for the annual Best Senior Thesis Award.
- Give a successful oral presentation of the thesis to the URC, the whole math department, the College of Science, or a forum outside the university such as a mathematics conference.
Click here to complete the Honors in the Discipline Intention Form. This form will inform COS Undergraduate Student Services of your intentions to complete the Honors in the Discipline requirements.